Public health education is the combination of learning experience designed to help individuals and communities improve their health, by increasing their knowledge or influencing their attitude.
This is a strategy for health promotion and disease prevention programs. Common characteristics of public health strategies are;
- Identification of target population.
- Conduct a community needs assessment in order to identify the community health needs.
- Plan learning activities to increase participant knowledge and skills.
- Implementation of programs with well planned curricula that will take place in a setting that is convenient for the participants.
IMPORTANCE OF PUBLIC HEALTH EDUCATION
- Public Health studies plays a major role in fighting off the biggest killers of humans. Public Health professionals, who have either studied a Public Health degree or Health Studies related course, are constantly battling against diabetes, cancer, heart disease and dementia to maintain the health and well-being of the population.
- A fundamental quality of Public Health is its preventative nature. Prevention is far more effective and far less expensive than cure.
- Public Health is important due to aiding and prolonging life. Through the prevention of health issues, individuals can spend more of their years in good health.
- Public Health helps detect health issues as early as possible and responds appropriately to avoid the development of disease.
- It is diverse and takes into account the health of the whole population, rather than focusing on health at an individual level.
- Public Health is important as it ensures everyone is aware of health hazards through educational programmes, campaigns and through influencing government policies.
- It is important because you are constantly building new skills and expanding as a person. This is due to the nature of the work promoting growth through day-to-day activities and taking part in major projects and campaigns.
- Public Health is important because you are constantly striving to close the inequality gap between people and encourage equal opportunities for children, all ethnicities and genders.
- Health is a human right and as a Public Health professional you are ensuring no one is disadvantaged regardless of their socio-economic background.
- Public Health is important because you become the voice for individuals who have no voice and simply put, your influence on the improvement of someone’s health can be a great satisfaction.